Thursday, April 3, 2014

Arabian Sunset

Hello all, and thank you for reading what has become my trip journal. All I intended to do was tell some tall tales on my trip so my beautiful wife and daughters would know what I was up to, but it turned into something read in 18 countries around with world, with almost 5000 visits! Wow - I never expected that.

At the end of my last post, I said the next one would be about sunsets, and here you go:

I know, it doesn't look much like a sunset, but in a way it is. I opened this tube of toothpaste the night I got to Saudi Arabia, and tonight I'm leaving at the end of my first year. I will get one more squeeze out of this before I leave and then will drop it in the can. So in a way, it's the end of a long day here!

If you've followed the blog or my comments on Facebook, you may have perceived that I've accepted an invitation to return for another year. Yes, I'm crazy, but what can I say. They asked very nicely. It's a double-edged sword of course. One edge holds difficult challenges and great learning opportunities coupled with an opportunity to do great work and earn great compensation.

The other edge, which cuts deeply, is that I am a long damn way from home, from family and dear ones, from "normal," from bacon, from Scotch, and the list could drag on for a long time.  Looking at the long view, though, in the scheme of things I'm still young and healthy, and quite a ways from normal retirement age, so I may as well take advantage of the opportunity while I can. At least, that's what Dana and I have discussed and talked and thought and prayed and concluded. Hard as it is to be gone so long and so far, it beats a lot of other options as far as work and income.

So today I wrapped up a major project I've been guiding through development, tonight I'm off for home, and will get there Friday in time for lunch! I'll get to be there for 3 weeks to do gardening, and medical appointments, and taxes, and gardening, and relaxing, and landscaping, and just spend some time with my loved ones, and I can't wait to be home!

Again, thanks for reading this year. Hopefully when I get back I'll still find interesting things to do and see and photograph to keep you coming back. Do let me hear from you! This doesn't have to be a one-way street.  You may have noticed I've posted a few sunset shots by now - these have all been taken in the past few weeks while we've had very clear skies and exceptionally nice weather.  Best to all and I'll be back soon.  Mark




1 comment:

  1. I like the third picture down the best. Notice how the sun is just laying on the horizon. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete