Thursday, May 8, 2014

Back in KSA

OK, you already know I've been back for over a week, but I want to close out the journey travelogue, if y'all don't mind. Beyond a couple of regulars, I don't know who reads this, but it's fun for me and I get to make stuff up if I want to, so I'll keep it up. This then starts on my flight from Dallas to Dubai:

I'm at FL330 (33,000 feet) in a Boeing 777 over northern Canada, approaching the North Atlantic coast. The ground is covered in snow and all the lakes are iced over at the end of April. It just seems surreal. It's beautiful, but a strange contrast to where I've been for the past year!
 
Earlier I left DFW and we flew right over Northwest Arkansas, and I could see Fayetteville out my window, and later we flew north of Montreal on a great circle route to Dubai. (below, Fayetteville and Springdale)
 
I left Saudi Arabia 3 weeks ago to go home, and the long, pleasant, mild Saudi spring was nearly over. Since then the temps have returned to upper 90s and low 100s every day.  I arrived in Arkansas to a glorious spring of mild temperatures, beautiful blue skies, and stunningly clear night vistas, which you don't see in KSA because there is so much light pollution. Here's the Arkansas forecast I left:
 
 Dharhar forecast (what I came back to!):
 
The 14.5 hour flight DFW to Dubai was uneventful, and I actually got about 6 hours of sleep - something of a record for me. Generally I cannot sleep on planes. My pilot senses just never let go of what's going on and I can't relax enough to sleep. I was so tired this time it wasn't too hard to rest. The following shots are approaching Dubai - one of them what it looks like everywhere here. It is a land of brown. The other shows a small town outside Dubai, and folks that's about as green as it gets here.
 
 
 
I took pictures on the ground in Dubai, but nothing new from my trip home except for this one, from the subway between terminals. I just like it, and am pleased that the iPad camera captured this motion so well.
 
I'm now boarded for the final leg of this journey, from Dubai to Dammam, and I'm sitting in a non-window seat for the first time in years! Hopefully I'll make it ok! Here's what business class looks like on a Boeing 777 with Emirates Airlines, in case you've wondered! It's a snug fit for someone my size, but it still stretches out full length which is wonderful on a 16+ hour flight.


We touched down at Dammam at 1700 local (0900 cdt us), just under 24 hours for the trip from XNA, and in 25 minutes I was through immigration, had my bags, and on the way out the door with my taxi driver - gotta be some kind of record! 
 
I do want to add a word of praise and appreciation for Dana. This past year was tough for her. While I was gone, she shot a busy schedule of portraits and weddings without me, dealt with significant health issues and problems at home and difficult people. It was hard, but she managed it, issues were dealt with and the work got done. Many women have told me they could never do what Dana is doing, and many men have told me their wives could never do it. I'm so proud of you, sweetheart. 
 
The night after I arrived we had a big storm here. Guys who've been here for 20 years say they've never seen anything like it. The damage looked like a tornado hit - signs bent over, panels stripped off buildings, walls stretched on the inside, and hundreds of trees broken or uprooted. Luckily this is a very green oasis and will recover. Many of the downed trees have been cleared, but there are still areas without water, and our building has very low pressure so there are some restrictions while things get repaired.
 
But then yesterday I was walking and came across this little lovely in the afternoon sun! It looks and smells like a magnolia - must be from the same family. Whatever it is, it made me smile! 

This weekend I'm taking a local excursion to see what could be an amazing place. I will post pictures when I have them ready. Here is a link with some information if you're interested!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mada%27in_Saleh

Best to all!! Mark

1 comment: