Saturday, August 1, 2015

Mosque at Sunrise in Saudi Arabia

The al Khobar Corniche runs north and south along the Arabian Gulf in the town of al Khobar, near where I work. On bus trips returning from town, I've many times seen a lovely small mosque, and always wondered if I could get good images of it.

I've learned that there are many small mosques like this, built to honor a family member, teacher, or Imam. So, me being me, I figured the best time to try getting some shots would be at sunrise. There are good reasons for this - the air here is always thick with dust and sand and stuff, so there is always haze.  And this time of year, and especially right by the water, the humidity takes your breathe (right now, at 10 p.m., it is 95F (35C) with 65% humidity for a heat index of 116F (47C). It will get worse overnight. So sunrise should be a good time to minimize all that haze and get some pretty light.

Pretty light, you ask?? Daytime light here is the harshest, brightest, most glaring and brilliant I've ever seen. It is unforgiving and unrelenting. The sun comes up in the summer before 5 a.m. and by 5:30 it is full-on brilliant. It stays that way til late afternoon, then softens a bit before the sun disappears into the haze layer well above the horizon. So yes, pretty light at dawn.

I talked a friend, Jose, into getting up early (0315) and driving me to town. He's a good sport, so I bought him breakfast afterward!  We got there well before sunrise, which gave me time to scout out angles and locations to maximize the trip. Then over the next 45 minutes as the light increased, then the sun rose, I got what I came for.

This was a few weeks ago, during the last weekend of Ramadan this year, which is a month-long time for fasting, giving, and reflection, so it seemed like a fair time to go shoot a mosque.

Below is a shot looking south along the Corniche. Off in the distance is a restaurant complex. At this point there are very few shops, but to the north is a very busy business section.

Below, dawn approaches!

Sun finally peeking out of the haze about 15 minutes after official sunrise!

Sunrise at the mosque. Sadly I didn't find the name of the place, but it is very pretty on its little island!


It was a weird day, starting so early, but I'm pleased with the images. Come back soon and I'll have something else to share! Best to all, Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment