Thursday, March 30, 2017

Heading Home from the UAE

I'm looking at a mess of stuff in my room, because I am packing to go home! I've been abroad for 4 years now, and I've had a lot of sorting to do, throwing away, giving away, and setting aside in case I come back. I'm leaving tomorrow morning veeeerrry early!

So to summarize, I've done some cool stuff. I've got a load of writeups to make yet, so I won't be closing this blog out too soon, but here's a summary of the last year in the United Arab Emirates:

I lived in Abu Dhabi!
I've visited Dubai!
I've slept in a mountain top resort
I saw too many beautiful sunsets to keep track
I walked, biked, drove, and raced around a Formula 1 track
I ate in some fabulous, unique restaurants
I saw some amazing architecture
I met and worked with some delightful people
I went for a trek in the desert
I gawked at the geology of some insane dunes and mountains
I held my breath and sat out numerous dust storms
I saw a Formula One race
I spent a whirlwind jam-packed trip to Austria to see Shannon and David
I hosted Dana here in UAE for the month of May, and again for Jan-Feb!
I cooked some great meals in my room with fabulous Boy Scout skills
I learned that you can move camels in pickup trucks!
I enjoyed a splendid variety of Christmas displays in every hotel, malls, and many stores
I spent a delightful family Christmas in Austria!
I saw and heard some insane cars
I took some great Mini shots for Darby
I missed my wife and family and talked to some of them every day, and we all talked together every week - God bless the Skype guys!

Just for fun, here are a handful of the photos I shot with my iPhone this past year.

Below, Abu Dhabi city center with setting sun
 What I've been working on for the past year!
 Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi
 Cycling around the Yas Marina Circuit formula one track
 Aldar HQ - the world's first round skyscraper - very cool
 The view from near the top of world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai
The view OF the top of world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai
 The Burj Khalifa in Dubai
 Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi - magical at sunset
 Omani desert
 Austria with Shannon and David!
 Somebody's little motor yacht, probably 200 feet long
 Camels in a truck!
 Dune of red sand on the Omani Border
 Formula One in November, Yas Marina on one side, Viceroy Hotel on the other
 Hotel Christmas decorations in Abu Dhabi
Family Christmas in Austria!
 With Dana in Oman out in a big desert wind
 Lamborghini - just fast!
 Homemade hotel room stew - just the best
 Rainy day Mini!
 Just a fun little Mini I came across
 I drove this car for 20 minutes at Yas Marina Circuit - great fast fun!
My penultimate sunset here, last night. Tonight everything will be packed away, so this one will have to do!


Now I have to turn off my computer and pack it up into my luggage, something I've never done before. And arrange every thing else into my bags in some clever way to get it all safely home. I have a good packing plan, and will hope for the best!

Love to all, hope to see you soon. Watch this space! Mark

#UAE #AbuDhabi #WorldTraveler

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post. Wonderful list of accomplishments, and phenomenal photos! Gave me a huge smile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete