Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Sunset Stroll in the Desert

A few weeks ago I went out for a walk late in the afternoon, hoping to get a nice sunset shot. I've only seen one here that was even close to what I'd see at home, and I didn't have a camera with me, so I've decided to just get what's there and make the best of it!

This day wasn't bad, and the sun didn't disappear into the haze and dust as early as it usually does. Even so, it was still a very brown sunset. We saw that in Fayetteville one day last fall when a dust storm had blown across Oklahoma - it was a wild sky at the end of an engagement shoot. So here are two sunset shots from Saudi Arabia.


         
When the sun had disappeared about 20 minutes before official sunset, there was enough light to go for a walk around the old sand golf course that hasn't been used for about 15 years - you never know what you might come across, and that was the case today.

Among things I came across was an old course marker still standing. More surprising was a boat hull laying out in the sand and brush - quite a surprise. I asked a guy who has been here for 20 years (yep, and there are more of them than you'd expect!) and who'd played the course. Since they were playing golf in the desert, as if there weren't enough challenges, they added a "water hazard" on a par three link, and the boat was placed to represent the water they had to shoot over!


On the way back up the hill in another portion of the old course, I was walking along in the near dark watching where I was stepping, and stopped to look up and realized there was a pretty nice photo right in front of me. These poles were very nicely maintained, with three lines on each, but the lines terminated at the fourth pole down. Don't know if these were put in for future use or left over, but they made a nice shot with the rosy sunset glow!
I'll get another post up later this week, and then will be away for a few weeks. Dana and I are going to meet in London for our first vacation in several years, and our first ever trip to London. In two weeks we'll visit London, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, and Paris before she heads for home and I return to fun and sun! Right now she and Darby are in Montreal visiting Dana, and they are enjoying a comedy festival. Wish I could be there with them!!


1 comment:

  1. We wish you were here too, but I'm happy to see you're out exploring your own city abroad! Looking forward to seeing more of your photos as your adventures continue! (:

    ReplyDelete