Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Clouds, Haircut, & Consulate

Here is an image I took this morning walking to work. Actually, I was there - this is the front of my building! This time of year there have been some beautiful clouds early on, which won't be here as summer progresses. This was a quick capture, as cameras are not allowed inside the area where I work, but with the proliferation of camera phones they are not quite as rigid as just a few years ago,

I came to get a haircut after a short afternoon outing described below. I got one not too long ago, but it was much too long on top so I came to get it evened up a bit.  This sign is posted on the barber shop door, which means the price of my haircut has gone up to the equivalent of $4.99!

I like my barber, Mel. He was the first guy to cut my hair here and does a very good job, so I try to time things so I can get him. It's a ticket/number system, so sometimes I have to wait a while, but I let him know when I arrive and he usually manages to time it just right!  I make it worth his while and  tip him very well.

They provide a "scalp massage" for SR8 (8 Saudi Riyals, about $2) that consists of a brief workover of head and shoulders with a heavy duty massage - I typically tip him the entire amount of haircut and massage and he gives me about a 20 minute workover with this thing - head, neck, shoulders, arms, and back (all while sitting in barber chair)!  All for about $15. And no, don't worry Natalie at Salon Professionals in Fayetteville AR, he can't replace you - but while I'm here he will do! :)

Last week a co-worker found out the hard way that if you run out of empty pages in your passport they won't let you back into the country! She spent two days in Bahrain until she could get into the U.S. Embassy to get a batch of pages added to her book. So after discovering that my passport has only a handful of blank pages left, I went to the U.S. Consulate here in Dhahran today to expand my book.

Interesting experience. I think it's easier to break out of prison than to get into this place! I'm not complaining, much. Given the proclivity around the world for various groups to target any American facility they can, precautions must be taken. No electronics can go in, so check you phone, ipad, etc. at the dooe. and photographs are forbidden! and all surrounded by passive and active defences. not really a fun visit.

I had to wait almost an hour to give them my book and be told to come back tomorrow to pick it up. They typically do it while you wait but they were short-handed today.  So rest assured, citizens, here in what is arguably the most stable place in the Mideast it is nearly impossible to penetrate the U.S. outpost. Even with an appointment!

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment