Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Dhahran Fine Art Show

There is a very active community here at Aramco's Dhahran camp. Since it is also relatively small, people are very interactive and involved in many pastimes. If you have enough interested people, you can start a special interest group in almost anything! There is a quilting group, motorcycle group (HOG - Harley Owner's Group; love this one!!), even the Hangar Flyers International group, which I joined last year (flying enthusiasts!).  This week I joined another one, the Dhahran Art Group, or DAG.

Yeah, I know what you're thinking - Mark isn't an artist! Yep, must agree with that. But about a month ago a Saudi friend sent me an email about the DAG's upcoming fine art show, and suggested I consider entering some of my photos in it. Hmmm . . . that was something to think about that I'd never considered before.

But I started asking some questions, and learned that yes, they do accept photos for the show, which is primarily an art sale and fundraiser for the group. I can sell my photos for whatever I want, and they get 10% - not an unreasonable deal. It started to sound more feasible.

Then I started going through all the images I've taken here and there and all over the place in the past year. When Dana and I went to Europe last summer we collected some stunning images, and there are some very photogenic locations here that have given me very nice images. Eventually, with the help of some trusted friends, I narrowed it down to six images that I was willing to invest in and print to see what kind of response I'd get. (below - Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris France)

Then I was lucky enough to have a friend recommend a print shop near the mall, and I learned that they could print on canvas and mount it to a frame. I printed one as a test and was totally pleased with the result - great quality product all the way around, and something I would be proud to present as my work. I brought it to the office the next day and hung it there for two weeks with nothing but positive comments, and lots of inquiries about the piece. (below - The Grand Mosque, Bahrain, courtyard)

Then, of course, the person I'd been communicating with about the show told me that no, every photo must be printed and framed - no canvas! Eventually we got that worked out; turns out in the past they've had people bring in loose, unframed prints and canvases that couldn't be displayed.
(below - the London Eye, London UK)

Sunday afternoon (our Monday) was artwork turn in.  I'd been to the photo shop 5 days earlier to order my five other prints, and was a little worried they wouldn't be ready on Saturday night as promised. So I went Friday evening just to check and remind them I had to have them, and was pleased to learn they were already done! They brought out five neatly wrapped packages and opened them up for my inspection. (below - Grand Mosque, Bahrain, interior hallway)

I was pleasantly surprised as each was better than the previous, and all exceeded my expectations. Yeah, these looked like they belonged in an art show, or in someone's home!  I was very excited to carry these out, get a taxi, and head back to camp! It was very reassuring, too, when an Arab man in thobe (the long white robe) and head scarf offered in the shop to buy the image below, right then and there, that he had to have it! I thanked him very much, but conveyed that the print was to be in an art show at Aramco, so he had to know all about the show, when and where, so he could come to buy this print. I'd call that encouraging feedback! He shook my hand many times and told me he would be at the show - it'll be cool if he shows up! (below - Hall of Mirrors, Chateau de Versaille, France)

So Sunday after work, two co-workers and I bundled up our images and carted them over to the large multi-purpose room on camp and turned them in for the art show! Not something I ever thought I'd do, and can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll let you all know next week.

BTW, if you haven't tried it before, you can click on these images to see a larger version!  I would love to hear from you - which of these is your favorite? Best to all, Mark
(below - Tower Bridge, London UK)

No comments:

Post a Comment